Helping get people back into work
Being meaningfully occupied can make a major contribution to living a fulfilled, happy life, and it helps prevent people from relapsing to a life on the streets. For many of our clients, the quickest way to move off the streets is to get a job and move into the Private Rented Sector.
Enterprise & Employment, our in-house education, training and employment service, gets people back in to training and work. We have four careers advisers who help our clients discover (or re-discover) what they want to do, and the steps they need to take to get there and two trainers to help our clients develop essential IT skills.
• Signposting and referral to education, training and volunteering opportunities
• Job search support – CV and interview skills, mock interviews and support to search for and apply for jobs
• Access to computers, informal digital skills help and accredited IT training
• Work placements, ‘Get into Sector’ and employability workshops and the chance to meet employers
• Clothing, equipment and travel to interviews for volunteering, education and training and employment or to work until that first paycheque arrives.
• Providing them with the finishing touches for starting work including suits, shiny shoes and travel.
Last year, we supported nearly a hundred people into employment, and we know that transitioning into employment can be stressful for some people, so we continue to support people post-employment if they need us.
To find out more or to get in touch, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7766 5547. You can also follow us on Twitter @WorkspaceCSTM.
We first saw Nigel in November last year. Although a British national, he’d been working abroad for many years and wasn’t immediately entitled to benefits on returning to the UK – meaning he needed a bit of help getting back on his feet.
Nigel spent several nights with us in Emergency Accommodation whilst working with Enterprise and Employment to get himself ready for work. He attended one of our Nando’s ‘Get into Sector’ workshops focused on hospitality and enjoyed it so much that he later visited one of their local restaurants alongside several other clients for a ‘shop day’. At the shop day Nigel learned about health & safety in the kitchen, and even made and ate his own meal at the end of the day.
During his time with us, we also helped Nigel to update his CV, search for jobs, and open a bank account.
In January this year, Nigel successfully got a job at a high end hotel and restaurant. However, our support didn’t end there – we were also able to buy him a set of chef knives and a pair of kitchen safety shoes – everything he needed to start his new job!
Nigel is enjoying his new job and, after staying in our Emergency Accommodation to save some money, is now in accommodation which he found through one of his friends.
Marina is one of our Enterprise & Employment Advisers and helps hundreds of people a year into work, training and volunteering. Here, she tells us about her role.