Short term project opportunity for financial consultant
Background and current position
This year as part of our 5 year strategy, the Connection at St Martins started to develop its trading activity. Traditionally the charity has sold Christmas Cards and a few pieces of merchandise, bringing in around £20,000 over the year. However, this year, we have:
• Piloted a “communal breakfast” project (held in the St Martins in the Field Ltd owned kiosk café outside)
• Developed our on-line trading, building a new website and significantly increasing the product range – with more to follow in 2020
• A coffee cart providing drinks and cakes for participants in a major fundraising initiative to be held on 7th December
This, along with some fundraising activity, property service charges and our in house cafe, means we are currently below the VAT threshold (estimated around £60k in the 2019/20 financial year). However, the intention is to scale up our trading in the 2020/21 financial year by developing baked goods and juices for sale to the Café in the Crypt at St Martins. We also plan to run the kiosk café between 8 and 11 every day. This means we are highly likely to exceed the £85k VAT threshold.
The trading we have developed this year includes on-line payment and we are using platforms such as iZettle, Shopify and Eventbrite. Our financial software, installed in October 2018 is Xero. We are keen to integrate IT to enable efficiency and to support a streamlined VAT system once we have registered.
In order to take this work forward, we have identified the need to bring in a specialist on a short term, consultancy basis, to ensure we put the right systems in place.
We are looking for someone who is:
• A qualified accountant with a good level of knowledge of charity accounting and VAT (ideally but not necessarily in a social enterprise setting)
• Experienced in readying a charity for adopting VAT and a strong understanding of the trading implications
• Familiar with our various payment streams ((iZettle, Shopify, Eventbrite or similar) and Xero and how to synchronise these applications to minimise monitoring in reconciling financial transactions and VAT
• Able to work in partnership with our Finance Team and our Enterprise Development Lead and leave behind a robust, fit for purpose system
The role will involve working closely to support our Enterprise Development Lead and Financial Controller to help plan out the required project approach in the first instance. This will include thinking through our VAT registration process and how the IT systems need to work together. Secondly, it will require the person to work with our staff to implement the automation and integration of our various payment streams with Xero.
Timing and application process
We anticipate this work taking between 2 and 4 weeks and would like it to start early in the New Year. We are very interested to receive proposals from either firms or individuals who have the expertise to carry out this work with us.
If you would like to undertake this work, please provide us with a CV (either as an individual or firm) highlighting your experience which is relevant to the opportunity we have outlined. Please also give us, in no more than one side of A4, information about how you would propose tackling the work, the timescale and your costing. If you would like more information about this opportunity, please contact Ben Benton at The Connection on email@example.com.
We will continue to receive proposals from interested parties until Friday 3rd January with a view to starting work w/b 13th January. Please send proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: £33,250 – £36,492 per year
The Connection at St. Martins is based in the heart of London, near Charing Cross Station and Trafalgar Square. The Connection has been helping homeless people since the First World War and is one of London’s largest homelessness charities.
The Partnerships Manager is part of an ambitious and forward-thinking Fundraising & Communications team, which is in the process of going through a period of positive change and growth as part of the implementation of a new four-year strategy. By joining us at this stage in our development, you will play a major role in shaping and developing our Corporate Partnerships remit, and we encourage candidates who will relish creative strategic planning.
Situated in the heart of Westminster, we work closely with local and national corporate partners. At a time of rising homelessness, with many companies feeling a social responsibility to help people who are homeless, Partnership fundraising is currently our most successful funding stream with great growth potential. Our supporters are generous, innovative and enthusiastic, and keen to build closer and more meaningful relationships with our organisation.
As a Partnerships Manager, you will have responsibility for the following areas:
• Oversee The Connection at St Martin’s Corporate Partnership income stream, developing and leading on the delivery of an action plan to improve existing activities, and assess and implement growth opportunities.
• Provide excellent line management to the Partnerships Assistant.
• To lead on Corporate Volunteering activity, developing strategy, and managing the Partnerships Assistant in devising and delivering volunteering opportunities to a high standard.
• Ensure compliance with regulation and best practice standards in the fields of Corporate Fundraising and volunteering.
Work in support of the wider Fundraising & Communications Team as required.
This role requires someone with a strong track record in Corporate Partnerships, with a solutions-focussed mindset. You will need experience in translating sector best practice into action, and be excited at the prospect of innovating and pursuing new, forward thinking Corporate Partnership opportunities for the organisation.
Details of the full job description, which includes the detailed person specification can be found here.
To apply, please read and then complete the application form, ensuring that you have clearly demonstrated that you meet the requirements of the role set out in the person specification. The application form can be found here.
Closing Date: 5pm Monday 9th March 2020
Interview Date: Wednesday 18th March 2020
Waking Nights – Locum Engagement and Assessment Advisor
Contract: 0 hours (casual)
Salary: £13.85 plus £1.47 holiday pay per hour
The Connection at St Martin’s (CSTM) is based in the heart of London, near Charing Cross Station and Trafalgar Square. CSTM has been helping homeless people since the First World War and is one of London’s largest homelessness charities. CSTM helps 4000 people each year through delivery of services for rough sleepers and people who are vulnerably housed.
We are recruiting for Engagement and Assessment Advisors (Waking Nights) to join our Emergency Accommodation team, supporting the running of our provisions by:
• Developing and delivering strengths-based, recovery focused services with service users
• Monitoring and evaluation of service delivery to demonstrate impact
• Actively contributing towards a highly effective team
You will have experience of working with people with multiple and complex needs, and be able to provide a welcoming and engaging service. You will be confident and experienced when dealing with challenging situations from those whom may be under stress.
Closing Date: Friday 6th March 2020 – 5pm
Interview Date: TBC